COVID-19 Vaccinations

“Coronavirus Surgical Masks” by danielfoster437 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

The first successful COVID-19 vaccine given was in New York to Sandra Lindsay. since then it has spread to all other states, including Arizona. The effect on the Corona student body is that teachers are being vaccinated. Also, students that are 16 and older can receive some brands of the vaccine. 

Amanda Johnson, an English teacher at Corona del Sol, has received both her shots.

“I received the Pfizer vaccine at the Chandler-Gilbert Community College POD, and they had everything very well organized,” Johnson said. “There were incredible frontline healthcare providers there volunteering their time, as well as local firefighters and law enforcement officers…Considering the vast number of people needing vaccinations, it also went quickly and smoothly – both times, I was done in under an hour (including the 15-minute observation time that is required following the vaccine’s administration).”

Spanish and French teacher, Keith Hester, has also received his COVID-19 vaccine shots. 

“I got both vaccines (Pfizer).  First dose on January 14 and the second dose on February 4.  Both at Chandler-Gilbert Community College,” Hester said. “My arm hurt just a bit and after the second shot, I did have a headache and felt really tired and worn out.  But that only lasted about 24 hours.”

With teachers getting vaccinated, it brings positive views on what is to come after spring break. Going back to school for the 2nd time is spreading fast between students and teachers alike. 

“I would like to go back because it will be easier to keep track of all my work. Also, being in school keeps me motivated,” Nicole Yalda, senior at Corona, said. “I am so excited to see my classmates and teachers again! And because I am 18, I will be getting my COVID-19 vaccine so I am protected and others are too!”

Deciding whether or not to get the COVID-19 vaccine shot is a personal decision to make. It is important to know which vaccines one may be eligible for. As of right now, only minors at or above the age of 16 can receive it once it can be given to the general public. The only companies that 16 and 17 year olds can get the vaccine from are Pfizer and BioNTech. For 18 years and above, they can receive vaccines from the previously stated companies as well as Moderna.

Some students are deciding to stay online because they have been this year already. 

Sebastian Castro, a senior at Corona del Sol, shares his input on the decision.

“I am not going back to school due to me already having to be online this entire year so far,” Castro said. “When it comes to the vaccine, I will take it if it ends up having a high success rate. If it does not then I will not be taking it.”

When it comes to facts about the COVID-19 vaccine and the virus itself it is important to get information from trusted sources. One of the most trusted sources is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Their online website is CDC.gov.

For people who are hesitant about receiving the vaccine, a common worry is getting COVID-19 itself due to the vaccine. 

“None of the authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccines or COVID-19 vaccines currently in development in the United States contain the live virus that causes COVID-19,” The CDC said. “This means that a COVID-19 vaccine cannot make you sick with COVID-19.” 

The CDC goes on to explain that receivers of the vaccine can still get similar symptoms but not COVID-19 itself. 

If someone decides to not receive the COVID-19 vaccination shot, it is still very important to follow CDC guidelines and be respectful to people. Even if people are getting vaccinated it is not an excuse to act irresponsibly. People are still passing away due to COVID-19. Things like keeping the 6 feet rule, wearing a mask, and washing hands throughout the day are respectful and responsible acts. Being safe for yourself and others is still critically necessary.