Arizona Propositions

This November, there are five propositions on the ballot. Voters have the choice to make policy decisions and choose the direction of Arizona. Here is a review of three out of the five propositions that will be on the ballot this election. For more propositions on the ballot this November and more arguments for and against each proposition, visit the Arizona Secretary of State website.

Prop 127: “Clean Energy for a Healthy Arizona Amendment”

1. What is this proposition about?
    1. According to cleanhealthyaz.com, this proposition “will gradually increase the amount of our energy that comes from renewable sources like solar and wind to 50% by 2030 – up from about 6% in 2016.”
  2. Why do some people see this as an issue?
    1. Pollution in the air and water can lead to health problems. Proponents of this proposition want to make Arizona healthier by limiting the amount of pollution. Because Arizona is sunny year-round, supporters argue more energy should be taken from clean, renewable source instead of fossil fuels, such as coal.
  3. If this proposition passes, what other benefits would there be?
    1. Proponents argue more jobs in these newly supported industries (solar, wind, etc.) would be created as a result of the proposition passing.
  4. Why are some people against this proposition?
    1. This proposition is an idea based off California’s renewable energy plans, led by Tom Steyer. Some are worried a plan built for California does not meet the needs of Arizona. Opponents are worried this proposition will put too many restrictions on Arizona, causing a hike in electricity prices. Because it would be an amendment, this initiative will not be easily adaptable by legislators. Additionally, it would undermine the current environmental regulation plans the state is currently working toward. Despite what proponents claim, opponents fear this initiative will cause many people to lose jobs and hurt the state’s economic development.
  5. How would this affect Arizona?
    1. It would amend the Arizona state Constitution, requiring 50 percent of energy to come from clean energy sources.
  6. What does voting “yes” mean?
    1. Voting yes would support an amendment to the state constitution, requiring 50 percent of all energy to come from renewable sources by 2030.
  7. What does voting “no” mean?
    1. Voting no would mean keeping the status quo. Arizona’s energy sources will remain the same, and no restrictions will be placed on these energy sources.

Prop 126: “The Protect Arizona Taxpayers”

1. What is this proposition?
    1. This proposition would prevent the state from imposing taxes on services, such as childcare, healthcare and personal services (haircuts, dry cleaning, etc.)
  2. What is a service tax?
    1. According to protectaztaxpayers.com, a service tax is “a tax levied by the government on service providers (businesses) on certain service transactions. The loss of money due to the tax is then recovered by service providers (businesses) by charging that amount…to customers.”
  3. If Arizona does not have a tax on services now, why do some want to have this protection?
    1. This proposition would ensure that services will never be taxed in the future. Other states have begun a service tax, and proponents want to prevent that in Arizona.
  4. How will this be prevented?
    1. This proposition will be a constitutional amendment.
  5. Why do some people see service taxes as an issue?
    1. Proponents of this proposition see service taxes hurting low- and middle-income families the most, especially when it comes to childcare and healthcare. An additional expense places another burden on these families.
  6. Why are some people against this proposition?
    1. Opponents argue Arizona has already had plenty of tax cuts, which has negatively affected other things, such as public education, fire departments, police departments, and transportation. Because the economy is becoming more service-based than good-based, this would result in less revenue and less funding for government-funded institutions and services. There are also safeguards already in place to prevent impulsive taxes on services.
  7. What does voting “yes” mean?
    1. Voting yes would support a constitutional amendment to prevent any service taxes in Arizona.
  8. What does voting “no” mean?
    1. Voting no means Arizona has the possibility to tax services in the future; however, this also means the issue of taxes can be discussed another way, not through a constitutional amendment.

Prop 305: “Save Our Schools Arizona”

1. What is this proposition?
    1. This proposition, according to the Arizona Republic, allows voters to choose whether or not they want to expand the Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA). This program would give parents “public money and allows them to spend it on private school tuition, educational materials and therapies.” Earlier this year, Governor Doug Ducey and Republican lawmakers passed legislation to expand the ESA program, but cap the program at 30,000 students. Voters, however, wanted a say in this matter. After the courts deemed this request acceptable, this issue has been included on the November ballot.
  2. Why do some people support the expansion of the school-voucher program?
    1. Parents want to ensure their students are receiving the best education possible, and they do not believe their child’s public school is necessarily the best fit. School choice is very important to some parents, who do not want financial limitations to prevent a student from obtaining a “quality” education. They believe each child should have the same educational opportunities. Additionally, many parents with children who require special needs services and therapists (provided through the school) appreciate the ability to receive these services through the ESA.
  3. Why do some people not want to see the ESA expanded?
    1. Opponents of this proposition argue the expansion of the school voucher program takes money away from public schools by using public money to send students to private schools. They feel that school vouchers “steal” money from public schools. Many opponents believe school choice is possible in Arizona already through open enrollment.
  4. What would voting “yes” mean?
    1. Voting yes means supporting the legislation that Governor Doug Ducey and Republican lawmakers passed earlier this year to expand the ESA program in Arizona.
  5. What does voting “no” mean?
    1. Voting no means opposing the expansion of the school voucher program in Arizona.