TheatreWorks presents: ‘Unsinkable’ & ‘Suite Surrender’

This Thursday and Saturday TheatreWorks is putting on its first production of the year. Something new is being introduced to this performance, as it will have two shows rather one. Much like a Pixar short, there will be a brief play called “Unsinkable” to start the show, followed by another longer play called Suite Surrender.

“I don’t really want to give anything away about the plot because part of the fun of a farce is discovering what’s happening,” Chris Carter, theatre teacher and director of Unsinkable and Suite Surrender, said. “Basically, you have these two divas, big stars, who hate each other but they don’t realize they are both staying in the same (hotel) room.”

“’Unsinkable is’ a much more verbally funny piece written by the same author about an aristocratic couple who is kind of oblivious (to the fact that) they’re sinking (on the) Titanic,” said Rachel Rosen, theatre teacher and technical director of the two shows.

Photo by Haley Spracale

“I love the theatre program at Corona,” said Peyton Clevenger, senior and actor for the role of Mrs. Osgood. “The teachers are so easy to talk to. I’ve made so many good friends (and there) are a lot of life lessons here like how to put yourself out there, very good public speaking, memorizing techniques (and) responsibility.”

According to the cast and crew, preparing for the play has been a fun experience.

“The cast is getting really close so my overall experience with the show has been great,” said senior Josh Mandell, who plays the role of Francis. “I’ve gotten to know a bunch of new people and I just love it.”

Ronny Hoopes, senior and actor playing the part of Mr. Pippet, has had a great time as well.

“The positivity that comes out of everything is just fantastic,” Hoopes said. “I love this show.”

Both shows are expected to be very entertaining and comical.

“I love this show,” said Hunter Schineller, senior and actor for the role of Claudia McFadden. “It’s funny and there’s something in it for everyone. I’ve heard it a million times by now and I still love it and laugh at it.”

Senior Megan Alexander, stage manager for the shows, loves the show as well.

“I think it’s going to be one of the best shows I’ve ever worked on,” Alexander said. “It’s going to be one to remember.”

Suite Surrender and “Unsinkable” will be showing on Sept. 13 and 15 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 per person.