StudCo. puts on blood drive

Written by Jacob Moorehead, Staff Writer

The next Corona del Sol blood drive is this February and student council is looking for anybody that is willing to donate. The blood drive is not only for the students at this school, but also for anybody else who wants to donate blood. A normal donation only takes about 10 to 15 minutes and can save a life. Hospitals are always in need of blood so the more people who can give back the better. Student Council sponsor Benjamin Forbes is making it his goal to recruit as many donors as possible for the drive. If you are interested in donating you can go to Forbes room at A348 to pick up the forms.

“It saves lives,” Forbes said. “I had an uncle that used to work in the emergency room and he said they always needed blood on hand to help anyone.”

It is a short process and a great way to give back and help others. Another donation you could do is the power red donation. It can take from 30 minutes up to an hour but it gives them double the amount of red blood cells and returns your plasma and platelets back to you. However, both donations can make you feel weak and you should avoid doing anything strenuous if you chose to donate.

“It varies from person to person,” Forbes said. “Most people have no side effects besides feeling tired and weak, but every once in a while we will get a kid that faints, but that is usually because they didn’t eat breakfast.”

It is important to come prepared to your donation appointment because if you don’t it can lead to more side effects. You should drink plenty of water and make sure to bring your forms to the appointment. In order to make it go as smoothly as possible, you should follow all the recommendations and instructions to make it a good experience.

“Eat a huge breakfast,” Forbes said. “You want a really full meal that is rich in iron the night before to pass the iron test.”

All donations go to the United Blood Services where they can send it to hospitals and save lives. They will also send you a text telling you where your blood went and how you saved someone’s life. Corona senior Emily White talked about the importance of blood drives and donations.

“Around 36,000 units of blood are needed everyday in the United States,” White said. “Chances are you or someone you know will need a donation at some point so it’s important to donate.”

The whole process of donating can take about an hour of class time and is not as painful as everyone thinks. The needle can be intimidating, but it is just a little pinch and you could just look away during that process. It may be hard to overcome a fear of needles but it is worth it when you are able to save someone’s life.

“The needle barely hurts,” White said. “They prick your finger to test your iron levels before you donate and that is worse than the feeling of donating. I just have someone tell me a story while they are inserting the needle to distract me.”