Misuse of prescription drugs

Photo by By en:User:Sponge [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons

Lauren Puffer, Life & Times Editor

As someone who takes prescription stimulants for medical reasons, it baffles me that people choose to abuse drugs when there are so many other alternatives to stay awake. For one, there’s coffee. If you order the right one with espresso and a lot of body, you should be able to stay awake for hours. When I take my pills, I’m awake for 15+ hours. I take one in the morning ‪at about 6:45 and it lasts until at least 10 and sometimes gives me insomnia. If you want to stay awake, but also want some sleep, I do not recommend taking Adderall. It’s taken me over a year to get used to it. Not only does it have an effect on my sleep patterns, it also ruins my appetite. In the first week I started taking Vyvanse, I lost about 10 pounds. Prescription drug use should be very cautious even if you are prescribed something.

It’s important to pay attention to the side effects and what they can do to your body. Also, if you’re getting prescription drugs that aren’t prescribed to you, you’re provably getting it from someone who isn’t qualified to give them to you. In other words, you could be getting a completely different pill. You don’t want to commit to taking a pill if you aren’t 110% confident about its contents. It would be a little unsettling to take a pill thinking you’ll be energized and end up passing out. Don’t put yourself in a sketchy situation just because you need a little extra time and a little more energy to finish that project or do that essay. Go drink a coffee, get a rebel, or even eat an apple. There are alternatives.

It’s inevitable that kids our age are going to abuse things. But please, be wise and don’t put yourself in a sketchy situation. There are many things that are unknown to people who illegally use prescription drugs. For example, you could be allergic to something or you could react badly and get jittery or paranoid. According to SAMHSA’s National Survey on drug use and health in 2015, 425,000 teenagers and adolescents between ages 12 and 17 reported misuse of prescription Adderall. That’s ridiculous; in perspective, that’s from 6th grade to your senior year of high school. We need to break this cycle, I’m no doctor but it’s widely known that drugs, especially ones that target your brain, can have a big and long-lasting effect on people.