• School ends at 10:55 am on September 20

Spread positivity, be content

Lauren Puffer, Life & Times Editor

I can personally say that I’ve had a pretty good life. There’s not much for me to complain about. Though some people’s problems are more severe than others, they can have the same level of impact on your mental wellness. The greatest gift that we have been given as humans is the ability to influence others and share our emotions. There’s a poster in my room with a quote from Buddha that says “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases from being shared.” I encourage you to focus on your own well-being so that you can then be of help to others who cannot help themselves and share your wisdom with them, just as I am with you.

As a culture we are very sensitive to the disturbances in our lives; we make our problems feel bigger than they actually are. In these moments when things seem the most terrible, it is helpful to think that there is someone out there in the world at that exact moment going through the same thing that you are. It is important to remember that on this planet we are never truly alone. Allow that fact to comfort you when you are at your lowest.

We often tend to be ashamed of our failures, which is normal. What isn’t helpful for your personal wellness, is allowing your failures to consume you. In the face of adversity you must shake of the negative energy by sharing your failures. Sometimes when you share your struggles you start talking and realize how silly your problem is and why you ever let it bother you. Sharing also builds a strong bond of trust between you and those closest to you. If something is bothering you, voice it until the feeling goes away. We have all been given the gift of resilience, so that when something bad happens to us we come back from it twice as strong mentally and then have the ability to empathize with others who were in our situation. The best way to bounce back, is to find your peace by relaxing your mind. This is different for everybody, but basically what I mean is to return to your hobbies and surround yourself with people and things that you love until you recognize your blessings and return to tranquility. Wallowing in a placid state of your own negative energy is more self-destructive than it is therapeutic. This is why we must let people into the corners of our mind and allow them to help heal us.

I believe that everything always comes back in a full circle. When you overcome a disturbance in your balance, you are given the power to help others overcome their disturbances by showing them they are not alone and sharing words of support and encouragement. Communicating your adversities of the past helps others realize that just like you, they too can bounce back from their lows. As individuals we set examples for each other, so be a wise friend, be a good friend. Display your resilience to your loved ones and show them what it means to be strong and soon you and your friends will have the power to return themselves and others to total mental balance.