• School ends at 10:55 am on September 20

Corona hires Jon Becktold as new head football coach

Jake Pyatt, Sports Editor

Corona del Sol made its hiring of Jon Becktold to become the new head football coach official Dec. 15 by introducing the new coach to players and parents.

Becktold left his position as head coach of Greenway, where the team finished with a record of 3-7 in 4A,  after just one season.

Becktold has 26 years of coaching experience including coaching at Washington High School.

“It’s nice that people have recognized what I have done on the west side,” Becktold said. “I am confident in my X’s and O’s.”

With the coaching change, there was concern over whether last season’s assistant coaches would be returning or if Becktold would clean house and hire a new staff.

“We are going to bring all of last year’s coaches back,” Becktold said. “We are going to try to keep everything but the offense the same so the transition is not hard on the kids.”

While Becktold looks to keep the defensive side of the ball the same system, he will bring his fast-paced offense to a team that struggled to move the football last season.

“We are going to change the offense,” Becktold said. “It is very fast. We move the football all around and everyone touches it. We are going to score some points.”

Athletic Director Cory Nenaber had high praise for his new hiring, considering him a “steal” and that the program got a one of the best coaches in the state.

“I have received numerous phone calls from different coaches throughout the state telling me how lucky we are,” Nenaber said. “His record may not show it, but given what he had to work with, we are very excited.”

Becktold is looking to get things started right away for his new team.

“The biggest thing for the offseason is to try to get the players to understand our brand new offense, but it will be easy to learn,” Becktold said.