• Fall Break begins Oct. 9

Give back to the Earth and take the right action

Lauren Puffer, Life & Times Editor

It’s the season of giving, so I thought, “why not talk about the gift that keeps on giving?” This year I’ll be giving back to Mother Earth and I strongly encourage you to do the same.

I know we don’t have that much power over all of the industrial level changes that occur in the environment, but there is always a way to contribute. I’m sure you’ve heard about the great bee shortage on social media and how everyone keeps saying to “save the bees,” but it’s really not enough to simply avoid squishing them.

To put this plan in action, I will be planting a garden of flowers that help bees repopulate. Plants such as sage, lavender, cilantro and sunflowers will help to save the bees. I will most likely be planting them in the spring, but the idea came from the culture of giving back regardless. I’m also planning on giving my Christmas money to the Center for Biological Diversity. The center’s main mission is to “work through science, law and creative media to secure a future for all species, great or small, hovering on the brink of extinction.” I believe in this cause and I show my support for them every year. They really do take action; the money doesn’t always go straight to lobbyists. I encourage you to do you research and find a charity that you really believe in and donate to that cause.

Another simple way to help out is to carpool. I carpool everyday with my friend, junior Marissa Simental. She’s not far out of the way so it really is quite convenient and I get to talk to her one on one everyday.

Something I’ve also been doing lately is taking shorter showers. This is very easy to do as long as you don’t get emotionally attached to the warmth of the shower. We live in a desert where water has to be pumped miles and miles away from us for us to use. If we as a collective, took shorter showers the amount of water being pumped would decrease significantly.

My last plan, and some people might disagree, is to try going vegetarian for a little while. People think that this doesn’t make a big impact but really it does; supply and demand. The cultivation of cows is terrible for the environment. Cow farms release a near-toxic amount of methane that pollutes the air and the water around it.

The point is, this year in addition to making your loved ones feel good, taking action makes you feel proud. Don’t be apart of the problem, be a part of the solution and love Mama Earth.