Aztec volleyball trumps Millenium in state quarterfinals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Written by Graham Eversden, Staff Writer

The Aztecs moved one step closer to their first championship since 1991 with a 25-18, 25-20, 25-10 victory over Millennium. They advance to play second-seeded Xavier in the semifinals on Tuesday.

Great serving by the Aztecs led them to a quick 7-2 lead in the first set. After that, Brooke Nuneviller showed why she belongs on Team USA. She had six kills and five digs in the first set alone.

“I come out 100 percent every time because I don’t want to have any regrets,” Nuneviller said.

Head coach Ben Maxfield appreciates Nunerviller’s contributions to the team.

“She just brings a calm presence,” Maxfield said. “She’s a really good teammate and a great player. Her presence out there is just awesome.”

The second set didn’t go quite as well. Unforced errors late in the set allowed the Tigers to turn a 7-point lead into a 3-point lead. Eventually, the Aztecs closed out the set, but mistakes like those could cost them dearly later in the tournament.

“We need to stay more calm,” Nuneviller said, “So we can get past our rough patches.”

The Aztecs can’t allow a similar “rough patch” to happen against Xavier. The Gators, ranked 5th in the nation, will make them pay.

“We have to get through those rough spots,” Maxfield said. “It happens in every match, no matter the opponent. We know we’re a good team and we can get through it.”

The third set was complete dominance for the Aztecs. Junior Abby Meyer served for the Aztecs during a 10-0 run that put the match away.

“We left everything on the court,” senior Erica Ronda said. “I don’t think we have any regrets and we’re just really excited.”

The semifinals and finals are at Mesquite High School. Corona plays on Tuesday at 5:15 p.m.

Xavier is the only thing standing in between the Aztecs and their first finals appearance since 2009. Xavier swept the Aztecs at the Gilbert Invitational earlier this year, but the Aztecs still believe they can win.

“I want to crush them,” Nuneviller said. “We lost to them once this season so we have a lot of motivation going into this match. If we bring it, then it will be a good match.”