Volleyball advances to quarterfinals with sweep of Sandra Day O’Connor

Written by Graham Eversden, Staff Writer

Aztec volleyball swept Sandra Day O’Connor 25-10, 25-19, 25-20 to advance to the second round of the playoffs.

The Aztecs, who are the third-ranked team in the tournament, started the match strong, winning 10 of the first 13 points. With seniors Lauren Forte and Erica Ronda blocking all opposing attempts at kills, the Aztecs looked unstoppable.

“We worked really hard,” Forte said. “We’re preparing for state one point at a time.”

The second set didn’t start nearly as well. The Aztecs looked rusty and unforced errors gave the Eagles a quick 5-1 lead.

“We hadn’t played for a week,” head coach Ben Maxfield said. “It was nice to see another team on the other side of the net.”

Corona responded well and soon tied the game up at 16. The back-and-forth set eventually went Corona’s way after the outside hitters took control.

“We passed really well,” Maxfield said. “(The outside hitters) were very consistent. They put balls down when they needed to.”

The third set was more of the same for the Aztecs. They pulled away late to clinch the victory.

The Eagles, who are the 14th seed in the tournament, were not nearly as good as the teams Corona will play later on in the tournament. The Aztecs will have to play much better in order to win the championship.

“Our hitters need to mix up their shots,” Maxfield said. “We were so excited to hit the ball hard every time that the other teams could key in on that.”

The Aztecs advanced to play sixth-seeded Millennium High School in the quarterfinals. The game is at 6 p.m. in the CdS gym.