Aztec football has a chance to make the playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Written by Graham Eversden, Staff Writer

For the first time in eight years, Aztec football has a chance to make the playoffs in the top division. They are sitting on the edge of playoff position. With just one game left, they sit 16th in the state.

Because Cesar Chavez won its section and aren’t in the top 16, they automatically get the No. 16 seed in the playoffs. That leaves the Aztecs one spot outside the playoffs. If they beat Desert Vista in their last game on Friday, they will clinch a playoff spot. This adds a lot more pressure to this rivalry.

“It’s a lot to take in at once,” senior quarterback Austin Helt said. “It’s a lot of pressure to get that win because it’s so important to make the playoffs.”

It gets complicated if the Aztecs lose. They need Highland, Valley Vista, Basha and Cibola all to lose in order to still make the playoffs. Those four teams all play against schools ranked higher than they are, but it is unlikely for all of them to lose.

“The pressure is there; we have to win to get in,” assistant coach Sean Thornton said. “We’re in a playoff situation a week earlier than the playoffs actually are. We’re just taking it as a playoff game, and if we want to move on we have to win.”

Desert Vista is currently 10th in the rankings. That could be a problem for the Aztecs because the other four games against top-10 teams they were outscored 149-42.

“We have yet to really put together four quarters of football,” Thornton said. “At times we’ve found ourselves in a hole and we just haven’t been able to get ourselves out of it. The biggest thing is just to get out to a fast start.”

The game, which is also Corona’s senior night, starts at 7 p.m. at Hascal Henshaw stadium.