Suicide Squad Movie Review

Arlayna Schooley, Staff Writer

At a quarter to midnight, Aug. 4, eager fans waited in line to see yet another midnight release. This time everyone’s favorite superheroes were put aside to make room for some of DC’s favorite super villains.  In Warner Brothers’ latest franchise, Suicide Squad offers plenty of action, a diverse cast and comedy.

I was skeptic of the film at first and generally had no desire to see it. It’s funny because I typically enjoy action, superhero movies and have seen films like Thor, Transformers, Captain America, and Batman vs. Superman. Once the opening credits started, I actually found myself hooked. Like most action movies, I found the whole crime-fighting plot simple, yet enjoyable. The film is like a background insider to these DC characters. From beginning to end, the audience learns different things about the characters. There are actually set scenes for each villain’s story, which was really cool. It was helpful for someone like me who isn’t really into comic books but still loves the characters. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were definitely my favorite characters. Their lines were comical, and viewers definitely had their share of laughs throughout the film. I also enjoyed how racially diverse the cast was.

The movie’s soundtrack was also good, featuring artists like, Twenty-One Pilots, Lil Wayne, Eminem, Panic! At the Disco, and Kelani. I liked how many of my favorite artists were featured, and how the songs themselves were similar in mood but still their own. My favorites on the soundtrack included Heathens by Twenty One Pilots, Purple Lamborghini by Skrillex & Rick Ross, Gangsta by Kehlani, and You Don’t Own Me by G-Eazy.

Although most viewers said the editing was choppy and the plot was basic, I feel the producers accomplished what they set out to do. I liked this movie and would suggest this film to anyone who is into action movies, superheroes or comics. Suicide Squad is also great for those who need something to go see with their own squad. I would see this a second time, maybe more and can’t wait until it comes out on DVD, and bet many will too.