Guard Saben Lee verbally commits to Vanderbilt

Photo by Maria Martin

Senior guard Saben Lee dunks against Gilbert in the final regular season home game of his junior year. Lee verbally committed to Vanderbilt following a visit in June.

Written by Eddie Calrow, Online Sports Editor

Entering his senior year at Corona del Sol, Saben Lee has just lifted a huge weight off his shoulders. Committing to Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Lee can focus on his performance with the recruiting process now out of the way.

“They (Vanderbilt coaches) expect me to play a lot my freshman year, so I’m ready to play,” Lee said. “They definitely want me to be a scoring point guard, get in the lanes, get people open, handle the ball, and just lead the team.”

Lee’s mother studied law at Vanderbilt, but Lee said this did not influence his decision at all. The choice to commit came from his experience with the coaching staff and the university’s atmosphere.

“I had a great relationship with the whole coaching staff,” Lee said. “(Especially) the head coach, Drew Bryce. I feel like he would definitely help my game with what he has been successful with, getting to the league. I also really like the college life there.”

Lee’s head coach, Neil MacDonald, is confident Vanderbilt is getting an amazing addition to its basketball team and its student body.

“Vanderbilt is getting an excellent student and an explosive playmaker who is continuing to add to his game,” MacDonald said.

Lee is a very animated athlete, thriving off the hype of the crowd during his junior season at CdS. His high-flying dunks and speed on the court got the crowds involved in the game, which Lee hopes to continue in college.

“I went there during the season when they played Tennessee,” Lee said. “The fans get into it a lot; it is really intense up there and very competitive being in the SEC (Southeastern Conference), so I feel like I am going to fit in just fine.”

Lee can now tune into his craft completely, entering his last high school season. With the recruiting process behind him, life feels more relaxed.

“You kind of get to focus on just playing your game and not worrying about colleges and offers,” Lee said. “It was just a big weight off my shoulders.”

According to ESPN, Lee is a four-star recruit and also the 30th best high school point guard in the nation.