“Evolve” to conclude dance season

Junior Keila Chavarria dances to the front of the stage

Photo by Dion Deguzman

Photo by Dion Deguzman

CdS Dance students have been working hard on the spring show since early February. On Thursday, April 21, they will finally get to perform for an audience. The theme of this show is “Evolve”.

“We are starting at the beginning of time and going all the way through important events in history,” dance teacher Elizabeth Dobyns said.

Dobyns began her creative process and started coming up with ideas for the show in early January.

“The cool thing about a dance show is that it doesn’t exist before,” said Dobyns. “Everything comes from an idea or a thought and from there it is created.”

A special dance at the end of the performance featuring the Corona dance seniors will depict them going into the future. They will be doing a variety of different kinds of dances such as hip hop, contemporary, jazz, tap, ballet and gymnastics.

“A variety of dances is necessary for this kind of show,” Dobyns said.

The dancers have spent 80-100 hours preparing for the show outside of class over the past three months.

“I always get excited about the combination of all that hard work,” Dobyns said.

Some new technology has been introduced for the purpose of the dance show.

“We just bought a huge screen and projector system with not just one but four projectors that are all programmed,” Dobyns said. “Each digital backdrop is different for each dance.”

One of the things that Dobyns likes to do is work with the director and producer to make every dance special in some way. For this show, there will be a T-Rex.

“I don’t want to give anything away, but the T-Rex sort of links everything together and brings a little bit of humor to our show,” Dobyns said.

Opening night is April 21 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and $7 for adults. They are on sale in the library or at the box office.

“Tickets are going really fast so you’re going to want to make sure you get your tickets early,” Dobyns said.