Junior pitching ace Quinn Flannigan suffers injury

Written by Lauren Puffer, Staff Writer/ Photographer

Junior Quinn Flannigan has been a pitcher for Corona the past two years on both the freshman and varsity teams and is now committed to the University of Arizona on a scholarship for baseball.

“I’ve been playing baseball since T-ball,” Flannigan said. “I’ve been playing since elementary school.”

Flannigan has been a pitcher since seventh grade and committed to U of A last year in April. He has already met with the coaches several times and said that he likes the coaches a lot.

“I like the way they run the program,” said Flannigan. “I like the way they keep in touch with their recruits.”

Flannigan didn’t have other offers, but he did have a lot of schools looking at him.

“U of A was the first offer I received,” said Flannigan.

Flannigan doesn’t know what he wants to major in yet, but he is definitely anxious to join the Wildcat family.

“I love the campus down there and I know a lot of guys who are going to be in my class,” said Flannigan. He is also excited for the experience in general.

Senior teammate Austin Treese said he has known Flannigan since his freshman year.

“He’s really improved his game from freshman year to junior year,” Treese said.“He’s gotten bigger and stronger.”

As a player, Flannigan is “a really great guy and obviously a great player,” Treese said, “He’s going to U of A on a scholarship so that’s incredible.”

“He’s just really goofy (and) he’s really easy to talk to,”said Treese. “He can always get the guys together. He knows when to be serious and when to joke around.”

Varsity coach David Webb said that Flannigan has great athletic ability, character and solid work ethic. Webb hopes that Flannigan has a long and successful career and gets to have fun playing games.

Treese also has many good memories of Corona baseball with Flannigan.

“(My favorite is) probably our state playoff run last year, (and) just being with the whole team and Quinn,” Treese said.

Treese will also be playing on this year’s varsity team with Flannigan. Flannigan said this year’s varsity team has a lot of potential.

On he subject of his team this year, Webb said “ (this is) one of my favorite teams ever. They are very talented, but even better human beings.  Could not be more proud.”

“We have a really strong team, (with) a lot of returning guys,”Flannigan said, “In practice everything has been going really well.”

Flannigan’s favorite Corona baseball memory so far was making the playoffs last year with varsity.

Flannigan said his biggest obstacle in his baseball career was learning the little things. When asked which supporters he had to thank, Flannigan said, “Definitely my family and all of the coaches I had. Pretty much everybody at Corona; they’ve all been really great.”

Flannigan had an accumulating bone mass in his elbow called a bone spur which fractured his arm. Flannigan acquired ligament damage in his elbow early this season and will be receiving “Tommy John” surgery on his UCL, also known as ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction. Flannigan will be out for the next six months.