Five Aztecs are inducted into the Hall of Fame

Photo by Maria Martin

Written by Jake Pyatt, Sports Editor

The athletics department inducted five former Aztecs into the Corona Hall of Fame.

The first inductee was soccer star Brittany Cole. She was named Gatorade Girls’ soccer player of the year in 2006 and 2007. She was honored on the All-Arizona team from 2006-2008. The team went 96-8-5 with her on the team. “It means a lot. It took me by surprise when I got the call,” Cole said. The team won State championships in 2006 and 2007.

Bob Gilbert, former basketball and baseball coach, was represented by his son Steve.

“It’s a little overwhelming,” Gilbert said. “It’s real nice that they’d remember my dad like that.” The CdS Male athlete of the year is named in Bob Gilbert’s honor.

“I know the school meant a lot to him so I know he’d be real proud to be in the hall of fame,” Gilbert said.

Ron Davini, who still coaches baseball at Corona, was the third to be inducted.

“It’s a great honor,” Davini said. “It’s something that you never dream of. It’s the people around you who make this possible.

The last inductee of the night was Susan Mortenson. Mortenson played soccer and ran cross country and track. Mortenson passed away about eight years ago from cancer.

“It’s incredible; we didn’t expect (her being inducted) at all,” her mother said. “It’s a hard loss, but she would be really proud.”

Dave Vibber was later inducted on Jan. 27th. Vibber worked at Corona for 30 years (1979-2009) as a PE teacher and coached freshman football, track, and varsity wrestling.

“I’m really proud,” Vibber said. “The thing I’m most proud of obviously would be the state championships we won, but it’s more the moments I’ve had with my kids. Watching them grow up and mature.”