Senior Nate Marshall wins $12,000 scholarship

Marshall+uses+his+iPhone+in+his+milk+mustache+photo.+He+was+the+ultimate+winner+of+the+scholarship%2C+and+was+awarded+%2412%2C000+for+college.+
Marshall uses his iPhone in his milk mustache photo. He was the ultimate winner of the scholarship, and was awarded $12,000 for college.

Photo by Photo Courtesy of Nate Marshall

Nikki Dull, Staff Writer

Corona del Sol senior Nate Marshall found out he would be winning $12,000 scholarship during the Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium on Jan. 1. Marshall was one of three finalists in the “Is Your Stache Worth The Cash” contest.

“I was surprised when I won but relieved too,” Marshall said. “I was so nervous that day leading up to it, so when I found out I won, I could finally relax.”

The rules of the contest were simple. Any Arizona student who will be enrolled at a college the following year can apply to take a creative photo with a milk product in the picture. If you are one of the 15 finalists, you submit a letter of recommendation, a transcript, a biographical statement, a short essay and an application.

“They give the finalists tickets to the Fiesta Bowl game where they announced three winners,” Marshall said.

Marshall came up with his milk mustache picture in the Apple Store while waiting for his phone to get fixed.

“I was waiting for someone to help me with my phone I started to think about how we should take the picture,” Marshall said. “I guess the Apple Store inspired me.”

Marshall first heard about the contest from his mom and the CdS guidance office.

Arizona State University and University of Arizona are both colleges that Marshall is interested in and the $12,000 will go toward college funds.