Aztec basketball defeats nationally ranked Bishop Gorman

Photo by Maria Martin

Written by Jake Pyatt, Sports Editor

Boys’ basketball travelled to Rancho Solano Prep school on Saturday night to take on Bishop Gorman (Nev.) in the Desert Challenge. The Gaels were ranked as the No.1 team in Nevada by MaxPreps and ranked 90th in the country when the Aztecs defeated them 76-74.

Bishop Gorman was led by 6-foot-11 senior Zach Collins who has signed to play at Gonzaga University. Collins finished with 24 points on the night.

Gorman was looking to go inside all night with the height advantage they had. However, the Aztecs stayed in the game thanks to 32 points from junior guard Saben Lee. Over half of Lee’s points came inside the paint.

“I just took advantage of what the defense gave me,” Lee said. “They definitely had a size advantage but we just took what they gave us.”

The Aztecs had a tough night shooting the ball from behind the arc but made up for it at the free throw line. Corona went 20-28 led by Alex Barcello going 7-7 compared to Bishop Gorman’s 11-18.

The Gaels led for 31:58 of the game until senior Tyrell Henderson scored on an inbound play with one-second left on the clock. Gorman tried a “hail-mary,” but no one could control the pass, giving the Aztecs a 76-74 win to bring them to 3-1 on the season.

“(Henderson) drew that (inbound play) up,” head coach Neil MacDonald said. “He takes full credit for that. I think (the team) responded exceptionally well.”

Barcello finished with 17 points and Henderson with 15 points.

The Aztecs play over winter break in the Hoophall West at Chaparral and in the Visitmesa.com tournament at Mountain View high school.