• Fall Break begins Oct. 9

Young artist looks promising after releasing ‘Cry Baby’

Patricia Stoica, Staff Writer

Melanie Martinez is a 20-year old singer/songwriter who was first introduced to America as a contestant on season 3 of The Voice. Since then, it’s been three years and she’s released an EP, had a song featured on American Horror Story: Freak Show and released her debut album. Her music has a constant vibe of creepy cool, tackling dark subjects with upbeat rhythms and synths. Her album, released Aug. 14, is titled Cry Baby after the character Martinez has created for herself. The world Cry Baby lives in is gloomy, confusing and frustrating. It’s a landscape that she is trying to fight her way through.

The album begins with title track where Martinez sings as her character, “Someone’s turning the handle to that faucet in your eyes.” But by the end of the song, she turns it around to say, “I have the same faucet in my eyes, so your tears are mine.” The entire album has the same sonic landscape, which is cool because it solidifies that idea that each song is just a musical setting for Cry Baby, as well as making it a cohesive project. “Pity Party” is one of the songs that stands out the most for me, as it gives Cry Baby a more emotional/ unstable edge: “I’ll cry until the candles burn down this place; I’ll cry until my pity party’s in flames.”

Cry Baby is a wonderful debut from a one-of-a-kind artist. I’ll be looking forward to seeing more from Melanie Martinez. If she keeps on this path of creativity and originality, I’ll keep paying attention to her. She’s coming to Tuscon on Sep. 25 at a venue called The Rock. Tickets start from $15 and they’re currently still available.