Big defensive plays lead to Aztec football victory

Photo by Maria Martin

Austin Freese (#7) and Jacob Onofrio (#22) celebrate after a play. The Aztecs defensive line were a crucial part of the Aztec victory.

Written by Jake Pyatt, Sports Editor

The varsity football team was in control for most of the night thanks to big plays on defense as the Aztecs defeated St. Mary’s, 55-26, Friday night.

The Aztecs forced four interceptions in the game, two returned by senior cornerback Jacob Onofrio for touchdowns.

“We just practiced all week and I was prepared for all their plays,” Onofrio said. “I just saw him (St. Mary’s quarterback Erik Espinoza) throw and I broke on it.”

Three of the four interceptions came on the first three St. Mary’s possessions by sophomore Kobee Marion, senior Cade Kieffer, and Onofrio that all lead to Corona touchdowns.

“We were always making plays,” Onofrio said, “The first quarter was insane and we just never stopped.”

The offense was able to convert two touchdown drives scoring 14 points in 2:20 to end the half up 35-0.

The Aztecs scored three more touchdowns in the third quarter thanks to two running touchdowns by Jamaree Johnson and Mason Carroll and another Onofrio pick-six.

The Corona defense did give up four touchdowns in the last 16 minutes of play.

The feeling around this team is something that is standing out from years past.

“This year everyone is motivated to try to do their best,” Onofrio said.

“It’ pretty good,” head coach Cory Nenaber said. “We are starting to believe and that’s a big part of it, confidence and believing and we’re definitely headed that direction.”

The Aztecs travel to Sierra Vista next week to take on Buena, which was Corona’s only win during the 2014 season.