Junior commits to play at Penn State

Junior+Haley+Vallejos+has+committed+to+play+softball+at+Penn+State.+Vallejos+has+played+on+the+CdS+Varsity+softball+team+since+her+freshman+year.+

Photo by Karly Castro

Junior Haley Vallejos has committed to play softball at Penn State. Vallejos has played on the CdS Varsity softball team since her freshman year.

Written by Lauren Puffer, Staff Writer/ Photographer

CdS Varsity softball player, Haley Vallejos, has accepted the opportunity of a lifetime. She has committed to Penn State and hopes to get a good college education.

“Playing would be nice, but it’s a really good college,” Vallejos said.

Vallejos started playing softball when she was 9. She played on a team called Arizona Hotshots, a local club team. Penn State found Vallejos this summer through a scout.

“Over Nationals, he (the scout) came out and watched me play,“ Vallejos said. “Then I had to call him and he said that he wanted me (for Penn State).”

Vallejos hasn’t visited Penn State yet, and has received other offers.

“Penn State is a top business school and that’s what I really want to major in,” Vallejos said.

Her dad was a big supporter of hers.

“He was there for everything,” Vallejos said. “He was my motivation.”

“Haley has a huge impact on the team,” Varsity softball coach Jennifer (Jeep) Ray said. “She’s so vocal, offensively and defensively.”

Vallejos is only a junior but this year she will be a four year letterman.

Ray thinks Vallejos will do very well on the team at Penn State.

“She’ll impact that team right away,” Ray said.

Ray believes Vallejos has improved greatly.

“She was chosen as an all-state athlete by other coaches in the state as a sophomore, so that says a lot,” Ray said.

Vallejos’ teammate Olivia Miller, who had only met Vallejos last fall knows that Vallejos will continue to make strides in college.

“Her hitting has improved so much, she practices every night in her backyard. You can really tell that she’s gotten better, she gets better every weekend.”

Miller believes Vallejos will do great at Penn State.

“If she stays determined, she’ll be fine,” Said Miller.

Miller thinks very highly of Vallejos.

“In my opinion, she’s the best catcher in the state,” Miller said. “She has a great voice on the field and it really changes our game.”

Vallejos will be picking up the glove for Corona again this season and is ready for another year of Aztec action.