Basketball phenom Bagley III makes decision to leave Corona

Photo by Maria Martin

Written by Jake Pyatt, Sports Editor

One of Corona del Sol’s leading basketball players from last year, Marvin Bagley III, has decided to leave Corona and head to Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix.

Bagley was an important asset to the varsity boys basketball team, averaging 19.6 points, 10.3 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 2.3 assist per game. He helped lead the team to a 33-1 record and its fourth consecutive state championship title, all as a freshman. His towering height, emphatic dunks and consistency as a defender helped him to establish himself as one of the premier players on the court.

Bagley’s talent was not only recognized and revered within the walls of Corona.  He gained national attention from various sporting organizations and journalists, such as SportsCenter and MaxPreps.  He received the honor of Arizona Republic 2014-15 boys basketball Big Schools Player of the Year. Many national websites, such as ESPN, have ranked Bagley as the No. 1 player in the class of 2018. Scouts.com even has Bagley ranked eighth regardless of class or position.

He joins his father and brother, who just this week announced their moves to Hillcrest. His father, Marvin Bagley Jr., will be an assistant coach on the staff, and his brother Marcus (graduating class 2020), who plans to play with Hillcrest this year.

Although Bagley was a huge piece to the team, senior guard Tyrell Henderson thinks that they will get through the loss.

“I think we can pick up the pieces and keep things going.” Henderson said. “Obviously losing a player like that is always tough but, I think we’ll be fine.”

New head coach Neil MacDonald is understanding of Bagley’s decision.

“It was a family decision,” MacDonald said, “We love him and he will always be an Aztec.”