Senior wins Mr. Corona

Tanner+Wilson+accepts+the+title+of+Mr.+Corona.+There+were+multiple+individual+categories%2C+but+Wilson+took+home+the+big+title.+

Photo by Maria Martin

Tanner Wilson accepts the title of Mr. Corona. There were multiple individual categories, but Wilson took home the big title.

Written by Aashini Choksi, Editor in Chief

The annual Mr. Corona pageant is always an entertaining night, filled with memorable acts and unique talents.

In early March, students nominated boys from each grade to compete in a male pageant. Marvin Bagley III and Teddy Langley represented the freshman class. Alex Barcello, Kaden Carter and Hunter Moon were from the sophomore class. Alex Butler, Matt Fallon and Trey McNair represented the junior class and the senior class nominated Eric Lin, Jaswant Pakki and Tanner Wilson.

The theme of the night was “Toontown,” and each contestant dressed up as a cartoon character to start the show, while the emcees, seniors Marina Tian and Katie White, introduced them. Some dressed up as traditional characters, such as Moon, who wore a Donald Duck costume, and Lin who dressed up as Bugs Bunny. Other contestants represented characters from well-known television shows, including Barcello who dressed up as Timmy Turner, from the “Fairly Odd Parents,” and Pakki who donned Baljeet’s attire from “Phineas and Ferb.” There were also a few contestants who wore creative outfits, like Butler, who represented Bill from “Little Bill,” and Carter who dressed up as Mike Wazowski from “Monster’s Inc.”

After each contestant was introduced, the boys changed into their formal attire and answered questions for the audience. Although they only answered two questions each, it was a great way to learn a little bit about each one.

Finally, the boys showcased their talents, which ranged from serious to hilarious. Butler delivered a serious speech about racial relations within the country, as well as our community. He talked about current events regarding Ferguson, Mo., as well as other similar occurrences.

A raffle was held during intermission and featured prizes such as beauty bags and gift cards. The ticket sales as well as the proceeds from the raffle totaled to around $1,500, and Comp Gov received all the proceeds.

Senior Tanner Wilson was crowned Mr. Corona at the end of the night. The 2014 Mr. Corona, senior Eric Lin, was awarded best talent for playing a classical piece on the cello, accompanied by senior Michelle Chiang on the piano. Rather than have the judges decide Mr. Congeniality, students could vote online starting on Monday, March 30. By the end of the night, sophomore Alex Barcello had accumulated the most votes and won Mr. Congeniality.