Corona football becomes a Division 2 program

Photo by Maria Martin

Written by Johnny Waddell, Sports Editor

The AIA restructured the divisions for the 2015-2018 seasons. As a result the Corona del Sol football team was moved down and will compete at Division 2 instead of Division 1 like it has in recent years.

“In years past division placement has been strictly on enrollment,” Coach Cory Nenaber said. “This year because a number of schools wanted something different, they took into consideration enrollment, free and reduced lunch percentage, participation numbers, and Max-Preps rankings over the past five years.”

Junior wide receiver Dylan Freese expressed his disappointment with the situation.

“Getting moved down a division sort of feels like getting pulled down from the major league to the minor league,” Freese said.

While some players are disappointed with the move, others have embraced it.

“It’s just a new challenge for us as a team,” sophomore Matt Fick said. “We will have an advantage I think because we have been playing the highest level teams and I think we will have success against some D2 teams.”

Even though the team will be moving down a division, it still may be playing some of the same teams.

“A lot of the teams that we may play in Division 2 are some of the teams we already play because Skyline, Mesquite and Dobson all went to Division 2,” Nenaber said. “There are a lot of really good football teams in our area that we will play.”

Regarding to the normal rivals that team usually plays, such as Mountain Pointe and Desert Vista, Nenaber is unsure if they will be on the schedule.

“Our new schedules for next year will not be released for a few months so we do not know if they will be on our schedule as of now,” Nenaber said.

Moving down a division give some of the players a reason to believe that they will become a bigger force on the field.

“I feel that I will be faster than most kids in Division 2,” junior wide receiver Jamaree Johnson said. “I think I can be a big play maker for this team next year.”

With the division change comes new goals for the team to have for the upcoming season.

“Our goal is to make the playoffs, which is going to be tough,” Nenaber said. “There are over 50 teams in Division 2 and only 16 teams make the playoffs so were going to have to play good football.”