Corona inducts four Aztecs to the CdS Hall of Fame

Photo by Maria Martin

Written by Carson Pyatt, Online Editor in Chief

On Oct. 2, Corona welcomed four Aztecs into the CdS Hall of Fame. Bill Richardson, Gary Venturo, Debbie Moore and Nathan Nutter were honored during halftime at the Corona vs. Brophy varsity football game.

Richardson was a Corona teacher and band director. He started teaching in the Tempe Union High School District in 1976 and retired in 2003. Richardson won the AMEA Golden Anniversary Award for Teaching Excellence in 1989, the ASU Lillian Williams Outstanding Band Directors Award in 1990, and the George C. Wilson AMEA Leadership/Service Award in 1990. He was honored as AMEA Music Educator of the Year in 1992. He was appointed to the Salpointe Catholic High School Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in 2003.

Nutter graduated from Corona in 1994 and was in the top 3 percent of his class. During his time at Corona, Nutter was a four–time cross country and track state champion. He was honored as Tempe All City and Gatorade Arizona Athlete of the Year for the school year of 1993-1994. Nutter went on to attend Stanford and graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering. At Stanford, Nutter won an NCAA National Championship in the 10,000 meters.

Venturo served in the Tempe Union High School District from 1987-2010 and can still be seen substitute teaching in Corona classrooms. He was a CdS teacher and head football coach for many years. He spent 40 years coaching football, wrestling and track in Arizona. Venturo coached the Arizona All Star Game in 1990 and 1999. He has been inducted into the Tempe All City and Arizona Coaches Hall of Fame. The Gene Autry Courage Award was given to Venturo in 2008.

Moore worked in the Tempe Union High School District from 1984-2014. She was a Corona guidance counselor and department chair. She coached eight years of varsity girls’ volleyball and led the team to a state championship in 1990, two state runner-up titles and eight final four appearances. She coached five total sports at Corona: volleyball, basketball, softball, badminton and tennis.

“(It feels) awesome,” Moore said on being inducted into the Hall of Fame. “It’s an honor. Mr. (Dan) Nero put this whole thing together. I’m just so proud of him for taking the time to put it together, to figure out what it takes to be in the Hall of Fame.”

Moore was honored to be inducted in the Hall of Fame, but recognizes the people who helped her get there.

“In my opinion it’s the players that I’ve had and the coaches that coached with me,” Moore said.

Moore advises students to continue excelling and making Corona an all-around outstanding school.

“This is a great school,” Moore said. “Get involved. There’s so much that this school has to offer.”