• School ends at 10:55 am on September 20

5 Seconds of Summer adds music to unique genre

Patricia Stoica, Staff Writer

5 Seconds of Summer’s debut album is the first debut album from an Australian band to reach number one on the billboards charts. The record sold 259,000 copies in its first week, and they’re currently on tour with one of the world’s biggest pop acts, One Direction.

So why do so many people have a problem with them? ITunes lists 5 Seconds of Summer under the genres of ‘rock,’ ‘alternative’ ‘punk’ and ‘pop.’ Some people argue that they’re just a boy band, and have nothing to do with the ‘punk’ influences they all cite as inspirations.

That is, of course, subjective, as no one ever really spelled out a formula that categorizes music as either boy band material or actual pop punk. And truly, it doesn’t really matter because, in my opinion, genres just set boundaries for artists, and besides being useful to generally categorize music genres, should not be as rigid as some people act like they are.

Either way, this album proves that not only do they have considerable talent, but that they are a breath of fresh air in music.

The hit single, “She Looks So Perfect”, opens up the album with an impeccably catchy chant of ‘Hey-ey-ey-ey.” Throughout the entire album, you can tell that they’re rather fond of using gang vocals. Not only that, but that they’ve truly have mastered the art of writing songs that are a perfect combination of pop punk and radio friendly vibes. This combination is what I  consider to be “poppy punk rock.” The first four songs power through with strong riffs and melodies that will most likely be stuck in your head until the next day, which shouldn’t be a problem.

The sixth song on the record is the first that isn’t changes pace, although this too finds the band singing about love and heartbreak and such. That seems to be a common theme throughout the record, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, because they pull it off very well.

My favorite song on the album is track 8, called “End Up Here.” It was co-written with front man Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low, one of my favorite bands.  It’s possibly the most anthemic, get-up-on-your-feet-and-dance song on the record.

The four boys in 5 Seconds of Summer had a hand in writing every song, with the exception of the closer, ‘Amnesia’. It is notably the slowest song on the record, and the perfect song to close with. It’s also their latest single, and the title track of an extended play that was released on Friday, September 5.

The EP features ‘Amnesia,’ a new song called ‘Daylight’ and their cover of Green Day’s ‘American Idiot,’ as well as live recording of ‘Amnesia’ from Wembly Stadium in London.