Corona to put on version of ’12 Angry Men’

Lauren Puffer, Life & Times Editor

Corona’s next play will be a version of 12 Angry Men called 12 Angry Jurors, as it will be featuring both a male and female cast. The original movie that it is based off is a drama about 12 angry jurors who decide whether a teenaged boy is guilty of murdering his father. The film highlights the biased and unjust aspects of the American judicial system.

Its original 1957 version is a movie that was transformed into a teleplay by Reginald Rose. The duration of the movie is about the jury discussing the consensus of the accused based on reasonable doubt. As a drama, this should really test the abilities of the students actors at Corona.

“It has themes about racism and bigotry as well as our duty as citizens to participate in our judicial system with integrity,” theater teacher Rachel Rosen said.

Auditions were before the break in early December and the students have been practicing every day after school until 5 p.m. There are 24 students acting and four students on the tech crew.

“It is a unique play in that the entire cast in on stage for the entire performance,” Rosen said.

There are technically two leads; juror 8 and juror 3; however the entire cast participates.

“The unique staging (is the most exciting part about the play) The entire audience is going to sit on stage with the actors for this production,” Rosen said. “We have never tried that before. It is called theater-in-the-round. We are building seating on all four sides around the actors who will perform in the middle of the stage.”

For junior Megan Burnside, this is her first play.

“I’m not freaked out to be in a more mature play,” Burnside said. “It has been a lot of fun to challenge myself.”

Theater in-the-round is a really unique experience for the audience and the actors.

“I think the audience will feel a lot more engaged since it seems like they are right in the jury room,” Burnside said.

Since it is Burnside’s first mainstage play she does feel a bit intimidated that the audience will be so close because they will be able to see their faces and reactions.

There are six performances total and each cast will perform on Feb. 9, 10, and 11. The performances begin at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. each night and tickets are $5.