Summer blockbusters set to delight audiences

Faryal Ashraf, Staff Writer

Summer time is know for the heat, the relaxation, and recently, for some of the best blockbusters of the year. This year is no different, with some highly anticipated movies being released throughout the summer months.

X-Men Apocalypse: May 27

One of the first major movies being released during summer vacation is X-Men: Apocalypse. This is the ninth movie in the X-Men series and stars most of the characters from previous movies. However there are different actors since this movie has the characters at a younger age than before. The movie also includes some new mutants such as Psylocke (Olivia Munn) and Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac). Some of the returning cast members include Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, James McAvoy as the young Professor X and Michael Fassbender as the young Magneto. This movie deals with a godlike mutant who is striving for the destruction of our world in order to create his own, and it’s up to Raven and Professor X to defeat Apocalypse and his mutants.

Me Before You: June 3

Based on the best-selling novel written by Jojo Moyes, this is one of the biggest romantic drama films of summer break. This movie revolves around the lives of the optimistic Louisa Clark (Emilia Clarke), whose most recent job is to be caregiver to a recently paralyzed, wealthy young man Will Traynor (Sam Claflin), who has become depressed and sullen due to his condition. Louisa helps him see the fun in life again, and the two fall in love and share a powerful bond. However, complications in Will’s condition lead to trouble in paradise and the couple must find ways to keep their love going.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows: June 3

Everyone’s favorite masked, crime-fighting turtles return to the big screen this summer to defeat their most recent adversary and become more public. However, this time they aren’t alone. The newest addition to the TMNT universe is none other than the iconic, hockey-stick-wielding Casey Jones (Stephen Amell). The turtles, alongside Casey and returning character April O’Neil (Megan Fox), must face off against Shredder (Brian Tee), diabolical genius Baxter Stockman (Tyler Perry), Bebop (Gary Anthony Williams), Rocksteady (Stephen Farrelly) and Krang (Fred Armisen) while dealing with their newfound fame.

The BFG: July 1

Based on the iconic children’s book by Roald Dahl, this movie is one that will appeal to audiences of all ages. Many adults and teenagers have read The BFG, and this movie will bring back the nostalgia and memories from the childhoods of many people. BFG is about Sophie (Ruby Barnhill), who meets a friendly giant, who she is initially terrified of but realizes that he is one with a kind, gentle heart, and the two strike up an unlikely friendship. The duo must face the unwanted attention brought by Sophie’s presence and a way to get rid of bad giants. This movie is expected to be another live-action hit for Disney.