Fall Out Boy performs fantastic show at Talking Stick Resort

Patricia Stoica, Staff Writer

Fall Out Boy returned to Arizona on Mar. 25 to play at Talking Stick Resort arena in support of its latest album, American Beauty/American Psycho. PVRIS and AWOLNATION opened Wintour, Fall Out Boy’s winter tour, and the night went beyond fantastic.

PVRIS was the first act of the night, and it opened with a bang. The three-piece band has an electro pop/rock sound that I love, and having never seen it live before, I didn’t have any expectations. But PVRIS was great­­­– the whole aesthetic, found in its album covers and merchandise, is very dark, mysterious and a little bit supernatural. The light show and fog machine conveyed that perfectly. I liked PVRIS’ show so much that the morning after the concert I pulled up Amazon and bought the digital album of White Noise, their debut record.

AWOLNATION played afterwards and it was a very pleasant surprise. Right away, opening with “Run,” the show was intense. The flashing lights, the deep bass, the quirky and enthusiastic dancing from front man Aaron Bruno, AWOLNATION pulled off an a great show. Admittedly, its sound is just too intense for me to be able to listen to it casually. But in a concert setting, those songs are the most fun to dance to.

Finally, main act Fall Out Boy came out. The show opened with a montage of scenes on a snowy mountain as “snow” fell from the ceiling. All the visuals projected on the screens from that point forward were stunning.

The imagery of the concert was great throughout the entire night. The light show was much better than anytime I’d seen Fall Out Boy, and the stage set up was an interesting choice for an arena setting.

The best thing about the night though, is that the band played a few more songs off of American Beauty/American Psycho than they had before, including one of my personal favorites, “Fourth of July.” It features the prominent line, “I’m sorry every song’s about you.” Introducing the song, bassist Pete Wentz said, “At the end of the day, the heart of this machine is the people that end up in this room. So, in some ways, I’m sorry, every song is about you.”

Some other highlights included a piano-led rendition of a song off Folie a Deux, the album released before the band’s infamous four-year hiatus, as well as a David Bowie tribute on the big screen during “Save Rock and Roll.” There was also huge beach balls brought out into the crowd for “American Beauty/ American Psycho.”

Basically, Wintour was a three hour long party. It was a great time, in large part due to the fact that the line made sense and that the two opening bands performed just as well as the headliner. All around, it was a series of good decisions that I was very happy to be there for.