KEY Club has promising run at DCON convention

Anita Daryanani, Staff Writer

Corona’s Kiwanis Educating Youth (KEY) Club proved to have success in Albuquerque this past weekend.

KEY Club participates in the southwest district convention (DCON) annually; this year, the club’s sponsor, Sheryl Braun, and 18 of its members represented the group.

“DCON includes all of the KEY clubs from Arizona, New Mexico and El Paso,” Braun said. “It is a convention that includes contests, celebrating accomplishments, going to workshops and electing new board members. It is the end of one KEY club year and the beginning of another.”

Against about 50 other KEY clubs ranging across the southwest, Corona’s KEY Club nevertheless proved victorious.

Corona senior Cierra Carillo, the club’s publicity manager, created a recruitment video for the organization. In this contest, the video won first place and obtained a trophy for the club. This was the second time that Corona’s KEY club received recognition for the creation of an original video at DCON.

Also, junior Lauren Dwyer artistically compiled a digital poster. The poster featured various pictures of Corona’s KEY Club and its members volunteering at events from the past year. It earned first place for its uniqueness and professionalism. The purpose of the poster was also to recruit individuals for KEY Club International. Additionally, this was the second year in a row that Corona’s poster has won in this category.

The club also won an award for its annual scrapbook in another contest at DCON. This book consisted of layers of pages filled with photos of the club’s achievements throughout the past year. The scrapbook was created through the combined efforts of the club’s members. It was a creative piece that vividly depicted Corona’s KEY Club, and won third place at the convention.

Furthermore, the club was recognized in other fields.

In February, Corona’s KEY Club hosted “Courage to Care Day” with the goal of raising money to donate to charity as well as making crafts to give to Phoenix Children’s Hospital. Being the club’s “Single Service Project,” this event won the first place award in this section.

Lastly, KEY Club adopted Kyrene de los Ninos Elementary School for its “Major Emphasis Project.” The club has decorated the school’s hallways during holidays, tutored kids, and written pen pal letters to the younger students. This yearlong project was recognized at DCON and won third place for best “Major Emphasis Project” throughout the southwest; this is the third time that KEY Club has earned this achievement.

Aside from the recognition aspect to the convention, DCON also hosted several activities.

“Activities included meals and banquets, caucuses, workshops, a talent show, a formal dance and the induction of new district officers,” Braun said.

The convention proved to be a fun experience for all the members who attended, being able to meet new people from other KEY Club’s in the district. Moreover, Corona’s KEY Club is proud of its recent successes and hopes to continue their achievements for DCON next year.