KEY Club hosts successful “Courage to Care Day”

Photo by Anita Daryanani

Photo by Anita Daryanani

Anita Daryanani, Staff Writer

Corona’s KEY Club successfully hosted “Courage to Care Day” on Feb. 21. KEY Club, led by senior president Laura Belmont, has been organizing the event since the start of second semester.

“Courage to Care Day was an arts and crafts event benefiting Phoenix Children’s Hospital and Beads of Courage,” Belmont said.

KEY Club invited the community to participate in this event. The purpose of Courage to Care Day was to create crafts to donate to patients with terminal illnesses at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. Crafts included decorating pillowcases, painting nonslip socks, stuffing sock animals, folding paper fortune cookies, designing pop-up cards, creating paper flowers and more.

Furthermore, the event gave participants the opportunity to purchase a “Courage Clip.” Courage Clips are beaded clips/key chains that participants bead themselves with artisan beads. However, the clip is more than just a souvenir. Each clip funds the Beads of Courage charity program and gives purchasers the opportunity to pick out a bead and address a note to a patient in the system.

“We had around 40 participants in the event, excluding people running stations. They could also enter a raffle to win prizes, and all money made went to Beads of Courage,” Belmont said.

At the conclusion of Courage to Care Day, KEY Club raised more than $500 and made hundreds of crafts to donate to the hospital